(More pictures below)
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. soy sauce, divided *I used tamari
1 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. All-American Spice Blend (see below) or other spice blend *I used garlic powder/onion powder and Hungarian paprika - just a sprinkling of each
1 tsp. smoked paprika *I left out
1/2 tsp. white pepper *I left out
1 tsp. salt, divided
1 1/2 cups cooked or 1 - 15 oz. can chick peas, drained & rinsed
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup raw cashews
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 artichoke hearts, packed in water, drained and chopped
8 oz. vegan ribbon-style noodles *I used elbows
2 tbsp. vegan margarine
1/2 cup chopped leek, white part only
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
5 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms
1/2 cup dry sherry or dry white wine *I used mirin
1 tsp. dried tarragon *I left out
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. all-purpose flour *I used whole wheat
1/2 cup cooked peas
2 cloves garlic, minced *I added this in
1 shallot, diced *I added this in
1 cup fresh bread crumbs *I used whole wheat
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. olive oil *I used grapeseed oil
*next time I would add in another tsp. of Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. cayenne
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried mustard
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1. Combine all ingredients in a small skillet over medium heat. Stirring constantly, toast for 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
2. Remove from the heat and allow to cook completely. Store in an airtight container.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly oil a 2 1/2 quart casserole and set aside.
2. In a shallow baking pan, combine the oil, 1 tbsp. of the soy sauce, the vinegar, spice blend, paprika, white pepper, 1/2 tsp. of the salt, and the chick peas. Toss to coat, then roast for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the oven and set aside.
3. In a blender, combine the broth and cashews and blend until smooth, at least 3 minutes. Add the mustard and artichoke hearts, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
4. Cook the noodles in a large pot of salted boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes, until al dente. Drain and set aside.
5. Heat the margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leek, bell pepper, mushrooms, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms release their liquid. Add the sherry and the remaining 2 tbsp. soy sauce. Cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the tarragon, thyme, and parlsey. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetable mixture and stir to coat. Add the reserved cashew mixture, reserved chick pea mixture, peas, and pepper to taste. Stir to mix well and heat through.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl combine the noodles, and the reserved chick pea/vegetable mixture. Mix well. Taste and adjust the seasonings and transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Set aside.
7. In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients and mix well. Spring the crumb mixture over the casserole and cover tighly with foil. Bake 30 minutes, then remove the foil and broil on low until the crumbs are browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Before Bread Crumbs:
Right Out of the Oven: