Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Slow Cooker: Kale, Bean & Potato Stew

This heat wave is killing me - there's no way I'm turning my stove on! >:o  Bought a new slow cooker and last night I made this great recipe!  Very flavorful, nice tang from the vinegar which I love and very filling!  Be on the lookout for many more slow cooker recipes in the following weeks. :)

*I used a large slow cooker - 7 qt.  You can half the recipe if you  have a smaller one.  You can also make this on the stove and reduce the liquid by 2 cups.

You'll need:
8 cups of chopped kale (stems removed)
2  15 oz. cans of white beans, drained and rinsed (or any beans you prefer)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 large onions, diced
4 yukon gold potatoes, cut into large chunks
6 cups of water mixed with 1 tbsp. Better Than Bouillon Veg. Base*
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar (more or less - whatever you prefer)
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt, to taste

*You can use plain water or any vegan bouillon you have

Turn slow cooker on high and add in olive oil, red onion and garlic.  Let cook for a few minutes and then add in the potatoes and mix.  Add sea salt, then beans, kale, water mixture, balsamic vinegar and give a gentle stir.  Cover and continue cooking until potatoes and kale are tender.  I had mine on high for 4 hours and low for 1 hour.  If you'll be gone all day then I would put it on low for 6-8 hours.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment