Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Slow Cooker: Whole Wheat Lasagna with Mushroom Marinara

Delicious layers!
Cheeze Layer
All ready to start cooking!
Delicious!!  It came out better than expected in the slow cooker!  The "ricotta" was amazing - you absolutely could not tell it was a cashew-tofu based cheeze.  It had a drier consistency to me this time than usual compared to baking it in the oven and I really loved it.  My husband is who is nowhere near a vegan, let alone a vegetarian loved it! 

You'll need:

Tomato sauce (my previous post has my mushroom marinara recipe)
whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked
vegan mozzarella (I used Daiya)
1 lb. soft tofu (not silken)
1/2 cup cashews
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large clove garlic
1 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. sea salt
fresh parsley, small handful, optional

Cashew-tofu ricotta
In a food processor combine the cashews, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, parsely & salt until a paste forms.  Then drain the tofu and add it to the cashew mixture and process it until it gets a creamy consistency.  You will have to scrape down the sides a few times.  Set aside.

Set your slow cooker on high and coat with a non-stick spray

Cover bottom with marinara sauce, then lasagna noodles - you'll probably have to break the noodles to fit your slow cooker.  Don't worry about this as the noodles will expand while cooking.  Just try to cover the space as best as you can with the noodle pieces.  Then cover the noodles with more sauce; then the "ricotta" cheeze mixtures; vegan mozzarella. Start again.  I did 2 layers and the third layer was just lasagna noodles, marinara sauce and vegan mozzarella.  Cover and cook for about 1 1/2 hours.  The lasagna is done when the noodles are tender - just test with a sharp knife. (yours might be done sooner, so check after an hour).  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - making a lasagna in a slow cooker is new to me. Thank you for sharing. Although I'm a vegetarian, I do cook and eat a lot of vegan dishes. I have yet to try vegan 'ricotta' cheeze and mozzarella, not available in the U.K yet, but should I ever see them, I will give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely give it a try! :) I was very surprised at the vegan ricotta using cashews. Many of my friends who are omni's just loved it! Thanks for stopping by! <3

    ReplyDelete