Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Millet & Butternut Squash Soup

I know you must be thinking I'm crazy to be making soup when it's been close to 100 degrees!!  (maybe I am! LOL)   But, I've been craving comfort foods and this creamy soup hit the spot.  The recipe is from Christina Pirello's book "Glow".

You'll need:
1 cup butternut squash, diced (I used organic, frozen squash)
1/2 cup millet, rinsed well
6 cups water
2 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
2 to 3 tsp. white miso
2 cloves garlic, minced *I added this in
1 vegan bouillon cube *I added this in (I used Rapunzel brand no salt added)
sea salt, if needed
extra virgin olive oil

Saute' the onion, celery and garlic in olive oil until soft. 
Add in the millet, butternut squash, water and boullion to the pot and stir gently. 
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cook uncovered for 35 minutes or until the millet is soft. 
Take out a little of the broth and mix in the miso until well combined and add back into the pot. 
Cook an additional 5 minutes.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment