Monday, May 24, 2010

Vegan Pasta Carbonara


I wanted to make something special for my husband for our wedding anniversary and when I saw this recipe and I knew this was the one!  This was to die for!!!  My husband could not stop raving about it and neither could I!  It's definitely my favorite vegan recipe out there! 

Here is website where I found this recipe: 
Yeah, That "Vegan" Shit: Pasta Carbonara

INGREDIENTS:  (My notes are in red)

1 lb. spaghetti, fettucine or linguine
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. dry white wine  ** I used 1/2 cup or more
5 to 6 oz. vegan bacon, chopped fine **You could definitely use less - but why would you?? LOL
1 T. kudzu root, cornstarch, or arrowroot **I used arrowroot
1 1/3 c. soy milk
6 T. vegan margarine  **I used about 4 T
3 heaping T. nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt (optional--if your "bacon" is uber-salty, you may want to leave this out) **I found it needed salt

Additional nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan for sprinkling  **didn't need a thing - super tasty!!
Freshly ground pepper

DIRECTIONS
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Dissolve kudzu/cornstarch/arrowroot and salt in soymilk and set aside.

In large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Saute tempeh for about 5 minutes, or until heated through (You should be able to smell the smoky aroma). Turn up the heat to medium-high and pour in the wine to deglaze the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, and transfer tempeh to another dish.

Melt butter in the same saucepan over medium-low heat and sprinkle in nutritional yeast. Whisk together to make a roux, then slowly whisk in the milk. Turn heat to low, and cook until thick, whisking occasionally--about 15 minutes. Add the tempeh, turn heat down very low, and simmer covered for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (If too thick, you can always add a tiny bit of wine to thin it down.) Add pepper to taste.

Toss over drained pasta and sprinkle generously with more nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan.

4 large or 6 small servings

No comments:

Post a Comment