Friday, May 28, 2010

Tempeh Piccata


I had high hopes for this recipe... maybe I just wasn't crazy about the tempeh?  I usually like it just fine...  It was a little bitter... I should have boiled or steamed it a bit first to get rid of that before I did anything.  I tried to doctor up the sauce by adding a little Earth Balance, but it didn't do the trick.  I think 2 cups of white wine was too much... I wound up just making a scampi-like sauce with a little white wine thrown in.  I have a lot of tempeh leftover that I think hubby is going to just dip in some BBQ sauce.  LOL

Don't get me wrong - it wasn't bad... I think I had my expectations up too high. :(   I'm making this again with seitan and I'll see how I like it. :)

Recipe from Vegetarian Times

Piccata Sauce


1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

2 cups dry white wine

1 Tbs. capers, drained

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1 Tbs. cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbs. water

Tempeh Triangles

1/2 cup soymilk  *I used almond milk

1 Tbs. Dijon mustard

1/2 cup cornmeal

1/4 cup all-purpose flour *I used whole wheat flour

2 Tbs. chopped fresh sage *I used a pinch of dried

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

2 8-oz. pkg. tempeh  *I used 1 pkg. 3 grain tempeh and 1 pkg. wild rice tempeh

2 Tbs. olive oil

Lemon slices for garnish

I served it over long grain brown rice...

To make Piccata Sauce: Saute' garlic in skillet over medium heat, 20 seconds. Add lemon juice, wine, capers, salt and pepper; cook about 10 minutes. Stir in cornstarch mixture; cook 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.

To make Tempeh Triangles: Whisk together soymilk and mustard in bowl. Combine cornmeal, flour, sage, salt and pepper on wax paper.

Cut each tempeh piece into 3 squares. Cut each square into 2 triangles. Dip triangles in soymilk mixture, dredge in cornmeal mixture and set aside.

Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook half tempeh triangles about 3 minutes per side. Add remaining oil, and repeat.

Arrange tempeh triangles on serving plates, and top with sauce. Garnish with lemon slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment