Monday, May 24, 2010
Recipe from here: http://www.365daysofkale.com/2009/03/recipe-apple-and-kale-muffins.html
* 1-1/2 C organic whole wheat flour
* 1 tsp. each baking soda and baking powder
* ½ teaspoon salt
* ½ tsp. cinnamon
* ¼ tsp. nutmeg, * left out
⅛ teaspoon grated vanilla bean (or use ½ teaspoon vanilla extract)
* ⅓ C honey * used raw agave nectar - will add 1/2 cup next time
* 1 egg * used 1 tbsp. flaxseed meal mixed with 3 tbsp. water
* ½ C sour milk or plain unflavored yogurt * used 1/2 cup soy milk mixed with 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
* ⅓ C canola oil * used grapeseed oil
* ½ tsp. vanilla (see above)
* 1-½ C grated apples or carrots (used cored, unpeeled apples chopped in my food processor)
* 1 C finely chopped kale or raw leafy green vegetable (I took off the stems and then chopped the leaves fine in my food processor)
* ½ C each any dried fruit and chopped nuts * used chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 400.
In a mixing bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
In another bowl, mix honey, egg, yogurt, oil, vanilla, apples, kale, dried fruit and nuts.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just till moistened. Fill 12 typical size greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
Made 12 very full muffins.