Friday, March 12, 2010

Stuffed Red Peppers

I've been craving stuffed peppers like crazy for some reason -- peppers aren't really one of my favorite foods!  I dislike green peppers and I really only like roasted red peppers.  But, these stuffed peppers were fantastic!  I've been experimenting with sweet brown rice and thought it would be perfect for "stuffing" into something since it's sticky.  It was perfect for these peppers!

Before Sauce:
Topped with Sauce:
Right out of the oven:

I used 6 peppers and cut them in half and stuffed each half.  You can stuff the whole pepper if you'd like too.

I used:
sweet brown rice, cooked
fresh spinach
fresh garlic
mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
fresh dill/flat leaf parsley
Bragg's
nutritional yeast, optional
onion powder/garlic powder (I'm a garlic freak! LOL)
juice of 1/2 lemon
Tomato sauce to top peppers. 

I used a homemade marinara I made during the week.  You can sweeten it a little bit if you like with a little brown sugar.  You can also make a sweet and sour sauce by adding a little apple cider vinegar & brown sugar to the sauce and mix well.  In a pinch you can add ketchup to your tomato sauce for a sweet/tangy sauce.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Put a little oil or tomato sauce on bottom of pan so peppers won't stick.

Mix all of the above together and taste for seasoning.  Fill each pepper and arrange in pan.  Top with tomato sauce and cover with tin foil.  Bake for 30 minutes or until peppers are tender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment